Emergency Medical Responder
Duration: 80-120 hours (based on jurisdiction)
Once licensed, additional WorkSafeBC “Out of Jurisdiction” package to be filled out for OFA 3 certification.
Participants will learn and demonstrate all knowledge and skills needed to provide appropriate patient assessments, interventions, and on-going care, including the transportation of a patient to a healthcare facility. Course content may vary depending on jurisdictional requirements and, in addition, follows the National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCP) as defined by the Paramedic Association of Canada. Participants will be engaged in dynamic training techniques including video, media presentations, skills demonstrations, practice sessions, discussions and scenarios based on real-life situations.
Professionals in emergency medical care who may be responsible for initial assessments, the provision of safe and prudent care, and the transport of a patient to the most appropriate healthcare facility.
Participant must be certified in Standard First Aid with CPR level C.
- Successfully demonstrate the required skills
- Minimum 75% mark for written, closed book, knowledge evaluation
- Successfully complete two evaluated scenarios (one medical and one trauma)
- Attend and participate in 100% of the course
3-year certification in Emergency Medical Responder (digital certificate issued upon successful completion)
- The Professional Responder
- Responding to the call
- Infection prevention and control
- Anatomy and physiology
- Airway management and respiratory emergences
- Circulatory emergencies
- Hemorrhage and soft tissue trauma
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Chest, abdominal and pelvic injuries
- Head and spinal injuries
- Acute and chronic illnesses
- Environmental illnesses
- Pregnancy, labour and delivery
- Special populations
- Crisis intervention
- Reaching, lifting and extricating patients
- Multiple-casualty incidents
- Marine environment
Includes any other content required by specific legislation
- Canadian Red Cross Emergency Care for Professional Responders Reference Text
Canadian Red Cross Emergency Care for Professional Responders Workbook (optional)
For course dates and to register CLICK HERE